Phone 0845 606 6145 or email

Buy Glenesk Online

The Glenesk distillery started life in the form of a flax mill in 1897. It as originally named the 'Highland Esk Distillery', and was established by James Isles (a Dundee wine merchant). 1899 saw the distillery taken over by J.F Caille who renamed it North Esk Distillery. Glenesk closed during World War one, and was taken over by Associated Scottish Distilleries in 1938 and changed to produce grain whisky under the guise of the 'Montrose Distillery'. It was then sold to DCL in 1954 and acquired by SMD in 1964, reverted to producing Malt Whisky under the name of 'Hillside'. The distillery saw the installation of a large drum malting in 1968, and the name was changed back to Glenesk in 1980. Glenesk unfortunately mothballed in 1985, and finally the distilling license was cancelled in 1992. It was dismantled in 1996 and sold to Paul’s Malt. It is now a large maltings owned by the Greencore Group.

Distillery: Glenesk
Region: Highland
Established: 1897
Status: Dismantled (1996)
Proprietor: Greencore Group
Stills: 2 wash stills, 2 spirit stills
Capacity: unknown
Water Source: North Esk River

Contact: Glenesk Distillery
Kinnaber Road, Hillside
Our site uses cookies to
enable some features.